Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Brooding in the behemouth

London is just as I remembered it: bustling, bloody cold, bleak and blustry. I've been sporting some terrific hairstyles as a result of leaving the house with a Do which is quickly corrupted by the local gale. I've frightened myself enough in bus windows to check whether I've been sucking my iPod.

My first week was spent in the Souf with Neeni and Tony near Brixton. Neeni is almost baked now and is looking well distended. She enjoys the preg-a-ttention and rubs her tummy gleefully whilst occassionaly querying how the hell it's going to come out. Whilst in the Souf, Bron managed to give me two weeks temping for her at Eon Scriptwriter's Workshop (a part of the production company that do the Bond films). The work was boring, but the offices and people were nice and situated on the dark-blue part of the Monopoly Board. My computer looked out onto Green Park which, on it's further shores, sported Buckingham Palace. Bron and I went for a walk to wave to the Queen from the gates but Queen Vic's pompous statue was much more exciting than the puritan Palace. This adventure has started us squeeling 'Joo-bi-Leee' in HRH's pronounced accent everytime we're on the esteemed silver tube line celebrating said anniversary.

Went to Bron and Grant's couch after that just off very trendy Brick Lane in the East. It's a great spot and in the centre of everything, my only complaint is the Bricky Boys in the stairwells smoking pot and talking until ungodly hours. I spent Christmas with these two which was a well-fed affair. We made a huge Christmas feast fit for ungulates with faux-meat abbundance which kept us full for days and days. New Years was spent at the 'painfully cool' Boom Box party which was fun, trashy and slippery. We celebrated with 3am falaffel rolls which, to my horror, were in Pita pockets and un-rolled - heathens!

Bron managed to get me a cat-sitting gig in Crouch End (North) which has provided rent free accom for the last few weeks. The cats are with me always. When I'm not picking their detritus from my black-artsworker wardrobe they stare at me like I've eaten their first-born. I've been incredibly lucky to have a well-coordinated, caring and patient social set already established in this town. Very grateful.

Have finally got a room in Harringay (North) between Manor House and Turnpike Lane tubes with two very nice and down-to-Earth Indie boys. The house is clean, cosy, calm and conveniently un-expensive. Am very excited at the prospect of unpacking my bag in my own room. Move in this week. Liberte!

Have spent most of my time applying for jobs online and watching boxsets of the Sopranos. The Sopranos make me feel good about my situation and the job hunting keeps me involved. Had a few bites from two agencies and a good interview and few apps to do this week. The planets slowly align....

No comments: